According to the oxford dictionary, Depression is defined as a mental state involving feeling of great unhappiness. Depression has often been recognized as a societal plague and nobody wants to talk about it. But the issue proliferates from oblivion or deliberate ignorance.
Here are a few ways to start defeating Depression.
- RECOGNITION: One has to be aware of the predecessors as well as the signs of depression. If you haven’t really read about it. Google it now! Chances are 6 out of 10 people around you might be depressed.
- ACCEPTANCE: It is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about. It is a disease which has a definite cure. Although denial seems to be the right thing but the later you accept the signs, harder is the recuperation.
- REACHING OUT: Not necessarily to a counselor or a therapist in the first place. But definitely talk to people- family, friends, teachers, whoever you feel comfortable with. They’ll show you the right way.
- GET A PET: A dog, a cat, a parrot, a tortoise, whatever works for you! Pets are scientifically proven to help relieve stress and increase dopamine levels.
- SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP: Don’t be caged within the taboos or the notions which the society inflicts because they don’t know what it feels like to be in your shoes. Take a step, seek a counselor or a therapist and find the will to get better. Because, everybody deserves to be happy!