“Love knows no age” is what most people with an age gap in their relationship say. In the past few decades, we’ve seen it all. Homosexuality, bisexuality, asexuality, pansexuality nothing seems to surprise us at all. However, dating older women seems to be quite a rage these days. And with the new President-elect of France, Emmanuel Macron’s wife being 24 years older than him, the trend has just gotten even trendier.
Emmanuel Macron’s been making headlines for more than his political success. At 64, Macron’s wife Brigitte Trogneux is 24 years older than him. At 15, Macron first met Trogneux when she was a 39-year-old married teacher at his school. She married Macron 14 years later after divorcing her husband. The unusual relationship and age gap isn’t making waves in France, but is gathering attention from other parts of the world. So, what is it about older women that attracts men? Are women really like wine – the older, the better?
Well, there are a lot of reasons why men prefer older women, the major ones being
- An older woman’s got her own life. She has her priorities sorted and will not constantly nag her man for attention. So, when taken out with friends or at a party, you don’t have to keep worrying about her, since she already has been to enough such places and can manage herself there.
- She doesn’t move in a herd. When you date a younger woman, you’re not just dating her but you’re also dating all her friends. They keep asking their friends for advice and suggestions. The older women, on the other hand, know what they’re doing and deal with situations in a much more sensible and mature way.
- They offer an enjoyable conversation. There is nothing more torturous for men to have a long talk on how their date was about to buy a particular handbag but eventually ended up buying the other one. Older women usually have better conversation skills since they’ve seen things, done things and been places.
- Older women have more money. Unlike young women, they will not pester you to take them shopping or buy gifts since they can do that for themselves and for you too!
- Finally, the most common reason that men give for dating older women is because they are superior in sex. They are experienced in having sex and are comfortable in their own skin without any insecurities. This makes them more willing to try new things in bed since they’ve graduated beyond the bedroom basics.
EliteSingles, a dating website conducted a survey involving 4,50,000 of its online daters to know what according to them would be the ideal relationship age gap. The results indicated that – although the society perceives an ideal relationship with an older man and younger woman – majority of young men actually want the opposite.
“I think the very fact that society tells them that older men getting involved with younger women are ok, but the other way is not, is what makes them think why and drives them towards older women.” says Mayank Gurnani, a young college student.
There’s been a significant increase in the number of high-profile male celebrities enjoying relationships with older women.
In 2003, Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore attracted much attention globally when they began dating, owing to their 16-year age gap.
Jennifer Lopez, 45, was in a relationship with backup dancer Casper Smart, who at 27 is almost 20 years younger than her. The couple dated for 2 years before breaking up in June 2014.
Similarly, Fifty Shades of Grey director Sam Taylor-Johnson, 47, is 23 years elder to her husband Aaron Taylor-Johnson. The couple is happily married with two children.
Madonna dated Timor Steffens who was 29 years younger than her, although the couple broke up in August 2014.
Demi Moore married Ashton Kutcher who is 15 years younger than her. However, the marriage didn’t last long as they got divorced in November 2013.
Shakira and Gerard Piqué, despite their 10-year age gap, have been together since 2010 and share two sons, Milan and Sasha Piqué Mebarak.
Cameron Diaz and Justin Timberlake shared an age gap of about 8 years. The couple was together for 3 years before mutually ending their relationship in 2007. Cameron is now married to musician Benji Madden, who is 7 years younger to her.
Age they say is just a number, and our own Bollywood women have not shied away from it either. Look at some of B-town’s beauties who married men younger than them.
Aishwarya Rai and Abhishek Bachchan tied the knot in 2007. The 40-year old actress and 38-year old actor not just share a two-year age gap but also a beautiful daughter, Aradhya.
Mehr Jessia, former Miss India married Arjun Rampal who is 2 years younger to her. They now have two daughters Mahikaa and Myra.
Farah Khan met her husband Shirish Kunder on the sets of her directorial debut film Main Hoon Na. Despite having an age difference of 8 years, the couple got married and have triplets.
Archana Puran Singh married Parmeet Sethi in 1998. Along with a 7 years age gap, the couple also has two children.
Amrita Singh got hitched to Saif Ali Khan who was 12 years younger to her. The couple, however, got divorced 13 years after their marriage.
Nargis married Sunil Dutt who was a year younger to her. In true Bollywood style, Dutt saved her from a fire on the set thus winning over her heart.
Shilpa Shetty and her businessman husband Raj Kundra too have an age gap of 3 months. They got married in 2009 and have a son named Viaan.